Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Recent Purchases-Kobeys Swap Meet and Thrift Store Finds

This is part 2 in my 'Recent Purchases' posts.

Kobeys Swap Meet:

On Sunday there was a vintage flea market here in San Diego. I did not go. This is the 3rd one they have had and I have not gone once. I want to go, but it always falls at the wrong time for me. I am either out of town or just completely broke! This time it was the latter. I had about $40 to spend and there was no way I was going to get anything for that there! I could, however, possibly find some treasures at the swap meet. And I did.



Vintage bread box with confetti print.
$10
I can not tell you how long I have been looking for a bread box!! At least 10 years. I really liked this one and the price was right. I have never seen one like it either. The brand is Nesco.



Gold vanity shelf.
$4
This is another item I have been searching for. They are always quite pricey on Etsy (especially when you figure in shipping). This one works great as storage for my Bakelite, which I have recently decided needs more green bangles. I have added that to my hot list as well.


Vintage wedges.
$10
These are gorgeous and they fit!!


Marciano snake skin wedges.
$10
Not vintage, but don't they look from the 40s?? They are a size 8 so I will sell them. If anyone is interested just let me know. They really are quite beautiful!

I got both shoes from the same vendor and she threw in a vintage shirt I had picked out for Fernando. Its a Towncraft button up shirt in a blueish/gray color. Perfect for him!


Curcao tourist scarf.
$1
I love tourist scarves!! I need more. Add that to my hot list too.


Vintage scarf.
$1
I love the print on this one.

I think I had such good luck at Kobey's because all the usual swap meeters went to the Vintage flea market. Hopefully next time I will be able to go.

Next are some items I found at various thrift stores.


40s crepe rayon dress.
$5
I got this beauty at the Salvation Army in Point Loma.


Layered peplum skirt.


Beaded collar.
The dress is in perfect condition! The only issue is that the zipper is missing a few, what do you call them, rungs?? Not sure. Even though it is missing some parts it still zips perfectly. This is another item I will be selling. If anyone is interested let me know. I can take better pictures and get sizing. Its a small size.

This last item came from my very favorite thrift store that I have written about here and here. I love this store so much. I have never found so many treasures in one place on so many trips for so little money. They must have a treasure trove of Bakelite or something because here is what I found:



Carved Bakelite bangle.
$2


On this particular day I went straight to the jewelry display and found this lovely bangle sitting on top of the counter. I was quite distracted so I didn't immediately realize that it was bakelite. I actually assumed it was just plastic so I just gave it a cursory once over. I had the sales person hold it for me while I looked around. When I went to check out she handed me the bangle and it was while I was holding it that I realized what it was. It was marked $7.99, but everything was 75% off so I wound up paying $2.00 for it.


Its a really beautiful piece and I have no idea how I didn't immediately recognize it as bakelite. When I got to my car I looked it over and thats when I got really excited. No scratches, no seams, nice weight, definite smell when rubbed. I couldn't believe my luck. Again! This thrift store has turned into a gold mine of treasures for me. I need to make sure to shop there more often.


15 comments:

  1. Love that bread box -- what a find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *groans at the unfairness of never finding $2 Bakelite*

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a deal you got on all your finds!

    They're called zipper "teeth" by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought thats what they were calledbut I wasn't sure.

      Delete
  4. You found some great items!!!


    Emily
    eageremily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. ARG! I never find Bakelite for under a million dollars too much, you lucky duck. What great finds, I am now itching to go hit the thrift store!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GIRL!!! That Bakelite is tha BIZNESS for 2 dollars!!! Good for you, now you can give this one a home with all of your other Bakelite babies lol!! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! So jealous! I could never find anything like what you have here in NYC!! LOVE that bread box!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently visited San Francisco last month with the hopes of scoring some cheap thrifty finds...unfortunately found NOTHING!
    Love reading your blog & seeing what goodies you come home with & that bakelite bracelet is amazing! Super lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sooooo jealous!! Great finds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing finds! I am so jealous ;) I love how you store your bangles and the array of colours are fab

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love that bread box. It's such a nice peachy colour.
    Bakelite bangles are much more difficult to come by here in the U.K (usually VERY expensive)but I managed to pick up a pair of orange/pink octagon bakelite bangles at a church hall sale for £15! A friend of mine suggested sanding them down (they were probably bright pink originally), but I don't like the idea of taking sandpaper to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Please don't sand them down!!! I know some people do it now but I 100% against it. I'll take my bakelite discolored in all their patina'd glory!!

      Delete
    2. I was worried this would damage them, and being quite happy with the orange colour I will follow my instincts and your advice and leave them alone!
      I think part of the charm of some vintage and antique objects is that they have already had a 'life'. If the bangles were sanded down to a flat uniform pink, maybe they would lose some of that charm.

      Delete

I love reading your wonderful comments and opinions!! Feel free to ask questions and I will happily answer them as fast as I can! Any negative comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...