Friday, February 15, 2013

Shag the Movie

Shag came out in 1989 when I was 11. To say that I was obsessed with this movie would be an understatement! I loved everything about it. The clothes, the music, the dancing, the teenage rebellion. Even their proper southern drawls sucked me in. I watched this movie every chance I got and I knew it from beginning to end.



As I got older and discovered Rockabilly, this movie became a source of reference. My bestie Tara and I would watch it so that we could copy the clothes and, more importantly, the dancing. The dancing in the movie is Carolina Shag and even though I much prefer Collegiate Shag we still tried to copy the moves.



Shag, for me, is summer. Every time I watch this movie I dream of dancing at an overcrowded, too hot bar on the beach. Of wearing sun tops and capri pants. Of drinking too much, dancing too late, and flirting non stop with pretty boys (Obviously the flirting bit is a joke as Tara is now married with kids and I am in a committed relationship. I just had to throw that in because thats what the whole movie is about!). If you haven't seen it I highly recommend you do. Its cheesy in that 80s-does-60s way but it is still a very entertaining movie. The music alone is worth it!


I almost bought Melaina's (Bridget Fonda) gingham cropped top at the Rose Bowl. It was too big though.

In photo left to right:

Luanne
Goody two shoes turned fiance thief.
"If I'm not engaged by the time I'm twenty, I'm gonna kill myself."



Melaina
Bad girl turned wannabe Hollywood Starlet.
"Look Luanne! Im not goin to college like some people. And I sure as hell aint marryin a damn Ralston. And I aint gonna die in a parish house in Spartanburg, South Carolina, thank you. Luanne, Im as pretty as any of those girls in Hollywood. This is my chance! Jimmy Valentines gonna discover me today, and it aint gonna be in your mamas hoop skirt!"


Carson
Good girl gone rogue.
"Luanne, why don't we just go up there and say "This was our last weekend together, and we didn't feel like going to Fort Sumter and touring goddamn colonial homes. We wanted to go to the beach and meet boys and go to wild parties and dance." I mean why can't we tell them the truth?"


Pudge 
Wall flower turned dance champ.
" It isn't even a bone at all, its a muscle. This cousin of hers dated a Clemson Tiger who sprained his in a game, and she had to massage it every night when it got hard because he was in so
  much pain."





17 comments:

  1. I don't think I've seen that since I was 10 or 11 and had forgotten all about it! Time to add it to Netflix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never even heard of this movie. Thank you so much for the recommendation... this has this weekend on the couch written all over it!

    HRF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its such a good movie. I need to watch it again now that summer is approaching here in San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww, it's our movie!!!!! I cannot even express how much I love this movie, and the great memories it gives me. We had great times watching it! I still don't really know Carolina Shag! lol...
    One of my all time favorite movies ever!!!! And for all the reasons you mentioned. It totally is summer, flirting, drinking, dancing, and just being with friends and discovering yourself! It makes me SO happy!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd like this post! Its still one of my all time favorite movies because of all the memories it brings back. I need to watch it again ASAP!

      Delete
  5. I love that movie, when I was younger I did the same tie around the door knob trick to practice dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not seen that movie in ages! I was also 11 when it came out and can remember how much my girlfriends and I loved it. Definitely adding it to the list of movies I need to check out again. Thanks for posting about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SHAG is pretty much my most favorite movie from my teenage years. I own 3 copies..1 on VHS and 2 on DVD so if the DVDs ever wear out I have a back up.

    LOVE LOVE LOVE Pudge and when they win the SHAG contest.

    I think I will go watch it right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great movie!!! I've always wanted to learn to Carolina Shag!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I loved this movie so much!!! I was also 11 years old in 1989....

    ReplyDelete
  10. This movie is a staple in our house. we watch it so much during the summer. We have already watched it once this year when we booked our vacation (we vacation in North Myrtle Beach).
    The quote you picked for Pudge LOL! I loved all of Pudge's capri pants and cute tops, when i think about summer that is the type of clothing that comes to mind, though everyone else seems to think of sun dresses (not that I don't like those, and there are several cute ones in the movie) or tiki wrap dresses (which I also love, but don't own any of).
    Actually I had planned on doing a blog post on outfits from the movie, closer to summer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVED this movie! My fave part was the contest with the girl with the HUGE beehive! I must get this on DVD!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to love this movie. I remember watching it all the time when I was younger, but I haven't seen it in a while. I am going to have to hunt it down. Thanks for the reminder!

    Deborah
    Hellcat Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  13. So crazy you posted this.My favorite movie and I live about 15 min from myrtle beach.I remember them bringing in all the cars and everyone trying to be an extra in the movie.My ex husband was.Unfortunatley most of the strip is gone.But the Shag is still a big thing here.you should def come visit.xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never seen this!!! Totally going over to netflix to see if I can find it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE THIS MOVIE! My daughter and her same age girl cousins grew up on a steady dose of this movie every weekend. They are all now in their mid to late 20's and STILL quote from it - or say who is being which character at a particular time. Hilarious! Great Web Site too!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your wonderful comments and opinions!! Feel free to ask questions and I will happily answer them as fast as I can! Any negative comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...