Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thrift Store Score

When I got off work yesterday I decided to stop by a couple of my favorite thrift stores just to see what they had and if I could find anything for my Etsy shop. I went to the first one and found a couple decent things. Nothing amazing. Then I went to my absolute favorite thrift store, which happens to be where I scored those 3 carved Bakelite bangles for $8 a few months back. I was perusing through the racks, picking out a few 70s-80s dresses for my shop. When I got near the end of the rack my eyes stopped on something spectacular: a black Hawaiian sarong dress.

It took a moment to sink in. I grabbed it to inspect it, of course fearful that someone would notice my glee and rip it out my hands. Silly vintage collector phobias! I looked at the dress up close. Black, brushed cotton with a bit of a sheen. Hand painted gold and white flowers. Gathered bust with boning and sarong skirt. The only thing wrong is that it lacked a label and had a plastic zipper. Besides that, it was obvious to me that this was indeed an actual vintage sarong dress.

Blurry photo of the dress.

You can see the sheen of the fabric.

It was hard to contain my delight. I was positively giddy. The price tag said $10 and the sales lady informed me that everything was 30% off. Perfect!! I finished shopping and gathered up all my other goodies and got rung up. After discount the dress cost me about $7.50 with tax.

When I got the dress home I tried it on. It fits, but is slightly too big in the bust. Also, the buttons on the halter straps are missing. These are easy fixes. There is also a small faded streak on the skirt that isn't too noticeable. Aside from those, and the plastic zipper, this dress is in amazing condition!


 Now came the task of determining what label the dress was. It's definitely not a Kamehameha so I compared it to my Shaheens. The gathered bust was close, but not the same. The painted flowers looked like something that Shaheen would have done so I went online to research further. 


I didn't find any Shaheens in that same print so I continued to look. Then I saw this:



Thats it! Thats my dress! Same print, same bust. Turns out I got an Elsie Krassas of Waikiki. She designed dresses from the 50s-80s. Chances are my dress is from the early 60s, which explains the zipper. I couldn't find too much info on her but did see some completed listings on Ebay where dresses similar to this one sold for almost $200 in 2011. That doesn't matter too much though because I am not selling this baby!!

This was a great find for me. I was going through my closet trying to get ideas for Viva and I realized that I don't have a lot of new dresses. This one is a great addition! I don't have a single black Hawaiian dress either which is an added bonus. I can't wait to rock this baby at Viva!!

Now I am going to go shopping for some gold confetti lucite jewelry to wear with it. I already have my gold confetti lucite purse and some gold Frederick's of Hollywood springolators to round out the outfit.

:-)

24 comments:

  1. Awesome find! Can't wait to see you rock it at VLV!!

    HRF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing find!!!! I totally know that "I found something incredible and I must contain my glee and pay and escape the store" feeling :-)
    This dress is going to look great on you! I'll look for you wearing it at Viva!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when you thrift something that turns out to be an absolute vintage gem when you get home and investigate it. The thrill of the chase!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on such a fabulous score. The dress is beautiful and gold confetti lucite will be perfect! Just 9 more weeks to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies! I'm really happy with it. Its not every day you find such great things at the thrift store!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I loooooove moments like that! Haha, and I understand about the paranoia too -- you want to get it checked out asap so no one fiddles with your treasures in your cart, lol. This is a beautiful dress for a ridiculous deal -- nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great find, good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for you! Our thrift stores never have anything good in them. Maybe I should consider moving. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Psssst! It is made with Shaheen fabric. ;)

    I have a labeled Shaheen with the same material.

    Your post reminded me that I have to start getting a feel as to what I should take to Viva. I'm pretty indecisive so I generally take 20 outfits. ��

    And I also can't decide how to post my Hawaiians. By label? By material? Post items like separates, playsuits, sets, etc. as well?


    It'll come to me tomorrow maybe. Probably after my shock wears off that you got that great dress for $7.50!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! So glad its a Shaheen fabric! That makes it even better :-)

      Where are you going to be posting your Hawaiians? Cant wait to see them!

      Delete
    2. I just posted an entry on my blog. I decided to post them in groups of 10 items at a time. I included my Shaheen with the same print as your dress in my first group. Hope you like them! :)

      Delete
  10. You have the BEST finds! I am sooooo hopping on a plane and totally doing all your thrifts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great find!!!! I would NEVER have that much luck in my city!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought I'd find stuff like this in San Diego! It's definitely been lucky for me though.

      Delete
  12. Just reading about it made me giddy.lol.what a cool find.I haven't thrifted in ages.That dress is beautiful.xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful dress! What a lucky find!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't you just love it when things like this happen? It was clearly meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE those great finds. Yay for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is an amazing score!! That's it, I need to hit the thrift stores more often. lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. So jealous that you found that black dress for $7.50!! The dress/Your blog is gorgeous, fantastic, and wonderful. Definitely following you now!

    Jordan
    http://jordansvintagekitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a find! I can't believe you got this baby for $7.50, it's every vintage shopper's fantasy to score something like this for that price!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The dress is beautiful and gold confetti lucite will be perfect! Just 9 more weeks to go!
    Sell Rolex watch

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just discovered I have an Elsie Krassas in my closet. My daughter picked it up at a thrift shop for $1.99 but I don't know how to date or value. She's too tall and it doesn't fit me. I posted it on my Etsy shop if you can give me any info.

    https://www.etsy.com/listing/274274444/vintage-elsie-krassas-waikiki-dress?ref=shop_home_active_1

    I love your blog. Roni

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your wonderful comments and opinions!! Feel free to ask questions and I will happily answer them as fast as I can! Any negative comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...