Friday, January 18, 2013

Going Bid Crazy

Definition:
"Bid Crazy"

Adjective
Mentally deranged, esp. as manifested in a wild or aggressive way while bidding on items on an auction based website like Ebay: "Jane went bid crazy on Ebay last night. Spent $500 on a vintage dress!!"


Every now and then I head over to shopgoodwill.com and see if they have any hidden treasures in their auction. I haven't been on there in months! In fact, I don't know why I got the idea to look on there now. Fate? Maybe. Anyways, I was looking at their bracelets section when lo and behold I came across a lot of Bakelite bangles. Here is the main photo:


Do you see them??? Here's a better look:


That glorious beast is a clamper!! Not only is it carved but it has what appear to be tiny rhinestones or metal balls. Mmmhmmm.

Next:


I am pretty sure that this is an applejuice bangle with rhinestones. Fingers crossed!!

And the rest:


The green bangles on the top may be Bakelite. Not sure. I will have to test them. The rest in this lot don't appear to be much of anything.

Well, when I discovered this fabulous lot it had 30 minutes left with a high bid of $66. I knew it would go higher but figured I'd give it a try none the less. As the time ran out and the bids increased I kept bidding and kept getting outbid. With 10 seconds left I tried one more too-high-for-me bid, and 'Success!!' That's what flashed across the screen. Apparently I had won. Winning bid--$125.99.

I felt a little nauseous, I will be honest. I did not intend to spend so much money an an untested lot of Bakelite bangles (even though I know that clamper is Bakelite!!). I don't have the money right now to be spending so much on plastic (darn plastic!!!) but something came over me. I went bid crazy!!! Has that ever happened to you??? 

The last time I went this bid crazy was almost 10 years ago. It was over an amazing Shaheen dress. I was at work when the auction was ending. This was before Iphones so I was on the phone with my mother, instructing her to 'bid again', 'bid again', 'BID AGAIN'!!! As the price crept over $200 and I kept screaming 'bid again', my mother finally yelled back 'Holly are you crazy!!??' And I realized that I was. I was bid crazy. So I stopped cold turkey. Needless to say I did not win the fabulous Shaheen dress. 

I think it is safe to say that most vintage collectors go a little bid crazy every now and then. I want to hear your stories of a time you went bid crazy. What was the item; how much did you bid; did you win or lose; and if you won was the item worth what you paid? I also want to hear your thoughts about my latest bid crazy moment. Did I spend too much? Or did I do ok??

Comment away!!

24 comments:

  1. Oooh I hope those turn out to be spectacular! I haven't gone bid crazy in quite a few years. In fact in most cases I try to limit myself to "buy it now" things on eBay because then I can't be tempted, even though I know it limits me a lot. It's so easy to get caught up and think "oh if I'm willing to bid X, what's $5 more?" especially after one or two times when you lose by just a few bucks. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. I'm usually really good at bidding only what I can afford, but I went a little nuts with this one! Hopefully it is worth it.

      Delete
  2. I had my moment a we years so with an amazing vintage Mexican circle skirt. Sadly I didn't win though after reaching $160 and the other person last minute bidding :( but I think that was totally my crazy moment hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Mexican circle skirts. I only have one really nice one with sequins. I got it for s steal in Kansas City. Usually I cant afford them.

      Delete
  3. I too have been guilty of going bid crazy and sadly not that long ago. It was a novelty print dress, but I was so obessessed with the adorable print and bidding that I completely missed the fact that it was nylon! I didn't pay that much, but I am not sure how wearable it is going to be.
    I also went a bit overboard on a pair of vintage jeans, which I am glad I didn't end up winning because I really couldn't afford them (though they are probably worth that much).
    The bangles are lovely BTW. Hope they turn out better than you have imagined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon dresses do me no justice. They hang funny. Jeans I have to buy in person. I'm too scared they won't fit right.

      Delete
  4. And here I thought I was the only shopgoodwill.com addict. I feature their stuff quite often on my blog - well, mainly, baby doll mugshot.

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its funny, because I haven't gone on there in ages. I guess it was meant to be!

      Delete
  5. I was bid crazy about 10 years ago when I discovered Ebay... As I live in France most of Auctions ended in the middle of the night, I often woke up twice to be sure to bid at the last moment... but vintage was so cheap than I remember winning a 50's Lilli Ann coat L size for $32!!!!
    I have become more reasonable now with a vintage wardrobe really full... never spend more then $100 for a dress that my rule!Cannot understand that since Etsy appeared we can see simple coton summer dresses for $250!!!
    My most crazy bid was for a 50's ballerina lamp, I won it and so shipping cost was incredible hight... but it still stands proudly in my house!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about Etsy. It can be quite pricey, even on simple things. I still prefer Ebay though. I like the challenge!

      Delete
  6. I've done this a couple of times and have really regretted it and feel so damn guilty. Especially since it was over something that I didn't need. I do this a lot with fabric. I love collecting fabric but I don't need it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've definitely gone bid crazy a few times. I find once the item is over my price boundary that I get cranky so I keep bidding so the other bastard (pardon my french) will have to pay too much for something that isnt really worth it! I usually stop in time but sometimes I'm the sucker who wins and has to hand over the cash. It's a sickness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I gave up on auctions a while back due to my tendency to go 'bid crazy.' Thankfully I was not the winning bid usually in those cases from what I remember. Or perhaps I have blocked from my memory those times I paid too much ;-) It can be very easy to get caught up in the bidding frenzy, especially when such a great bakelite clamper is up for grabs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm the Queen of Bid Crazy. I think you got a killer deal on this lot, and I'm almost 100% sure those other two greenies are bakelite as well, so woohoo! Nice job ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The green clamper is probably worth $125, so look at it as getting the rest of the lot chucked in for free! Hope they test well when they arrive. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been bid crazy a couple times,I hate when I am about to win and my comp freezes.then i curse at the screen and hope it doesn't fit the winner.lol.Lucky for me I am so broke I can't even look.lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. eBay. 40s rayon Shaheen dress. Bid:$999. Surprisingly, I LOST! Still bothers me to this day as I have yet to see it again. Would have loved to have had it in my collection.


    You did just great on your Bakelite score. Enjoy them, they look fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. You definitely got me beat! I never have that kind of money to spend. I wish I did though!

      I always wonder what happens to some of these things after they sell. Sometimes I see them around, but more often than not they seem to disappear.

      Delete
  13. I suspect that the vast majority of us vintage loving lasses have been in that position a time or two. I try to stick rigidly to my budget, but there have been a few times when I "borrowed" from the next month to win an item that I was especially keen on. So long as these beautiful bracelets are Bakelite, I don't think you overpaid based on the current going rates.

    Many happy congrats on your win - I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that they're all real Bakelite.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh I've done that a lot. I try to bid once, only as much as I'm willing to pay tops, but if somebody else only bids a dollar on top of you it's hard not to keep trying to edge out in front of them! It's a terrible cycle... "Just one dollar more..."

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think my most recent gut check of bid hysteria was in the form of a red squaw dress. It was only $50 dollars but it hurt to drop that much at a single time, especially because I tend to go for things that others wont because they need a little restoration (which I love to do), but the dress is beautiful and I cant wait to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Posts like this are the reason I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! You deserve it!!

    Those bracelets are amazing, by the way. I really should invest in some Bakelite!

    Jordan
    http://jordansvintagekitchen.blogspot.com/2013/01/cue-kermit-wail.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so curious to learn how your purchase turned out once you could inspect the lot of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out great! The clamper is indeed Bakelite and the root beer one is as well. Most of the other stuff wasn't anything special, but I think I did pretty good in the end.

      Delete

I love reading your wonderful comments and opinions!! Feel free to ask questions and I will happily answer them as fast as I can! Any negative comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...