Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Holiday Sweaters

For most people, when they hear the term 'Holiday Sweater' or 'Christmas Sweater' they think of tacky, 80s mom sweaters and properly themed parties to go with. For me, I think of all the fabulous knit varieties from the 40s and 50s. I've tried to collect these through the last couple years but they are hard to come by. When I do find them they are also usually a bigger size so I have been looking around for modern knock offs.

I was in Forever 21 yesterday and found a cardigan that has the look and feel of the vintage ones I love so I picked it up:



$22
Love the reindeer!! They have it in red online as well, which I am really tempted to buy.

This is my one and only 'vintage' one:


Its actually from the 70s or 80s but I really like it.

Here are a few from around the web that I covet:

Here's a picture of a his and her's matching set:

Fernando would never wear this sweater, ear muffs and mittens set! I'd rock the sweater if it weren't a turtle neck. Plus, I love her heart shaped belt!!

Here's an adorable red reindeer print:


I'm not sure who this lovely model is. I found this picture on Pinterest. This image is what inspired my search for the reindeer print cardigan from Forever 21.

Here's an almost identical one that just sold on Ebay:


It sold for $52. Not bad and I'm quite jealous I was not the winner!

Here's one that is currently for sale on Ebay:


Love that the snow looks like flames!








16 comments:

  1. I know just who the model is, in fact I've knit that same pattern because I love vintage holiday-themed sweaters too! I think I have 2 or 3 actual vintage ones myself, and you're right, they're really hard to come by.

    Back to the sweater and model-- the pattern is one written by Susan Crawford, she does tons of amazing vintage-inspired knitting patterns. The model in that pic is actually her daughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasha! I hate not giving credit to things. I've seen some of the ones you have knit and it makes me want to learn how to knit ASAP!! Such cute work! Besides, you can't go wrong with reindeer and snow flakes!!

      Delete
  2. I totally used to own that "His" one and the red one with the reindeer. Ah, those were the days! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a few mens ones that I sold but I have a hard time finding real vintage ones. I'm gonna keep looking though!

      Delete
  3. I have the reindeer sweater from Forever 21, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want the red one. I wore the black one today and I'm hooked!

      Delete
    2. The red one is really cute, too!

      Delete
  4. I love that red sweater you found on Pinterest! I like the little puffed shoulders...
    I wish so much that I could knit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I just bought the F21 one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooohhh, I am so (!) glad that I'm not the only who doesn't shudder when they hear the world holiday sweater. I think there are so, so much cute, stylish, vintage appropriate pieces out there in this category that far too many people overlook. I adore the selection you shared with us - there isn't a single one I wouldn't happily sport (anytime of the year! :) ).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I love the kitschy awesome-ness of them! I desperately want more!

      Delete
  7. I Looove all those sweaters- what a lovely post! So sad that we do not have forever 21 in Denmark:(

    ReplyDelete
  8. forever 21 always has cute vintage style things.I haven't been in there in a while.I'm drooling at the pretty models sweater in the red one.that is adorable.also the couple look so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just ordered the red one! Can't wait to wear it with my high waisted cigarette pants!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful blog post! Definitely i will share this post with my social net friends. Great sharing! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. red one is looking so beautiful, i think i should purchase this one, i see an as like that online, the prices was 102 ponds but i dont purchase,

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your wonderful comments and opinions!! Feel free to ask questions and I will happily answer them as fast as I can! Any negative comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...