Wednesday, September 5, 2012

October Spookfest 2012

Long time readers of my blog will remember my October Spookfest series from 2 years ago. I meant to revive it last year, but life got in the way. However this year it is back! All throughout October I will be sharing posts about all things spooky and Halloween related. There will be ghosts, weird crimes, pet costumes, haunted houses, and, well, just about anything that is weird and interesting in a twisted sort of way. If you love the macabre like I do, then you will love October Spookfest! And even if you don't, please stay tuned as I will continue my regular vintage posts as well.

To prepare you guys for next months events I will be re-posting some of my most popular and favorite Spookfest posts. I feel it is only appropriate to start with my all time most popular post. Ever. This post gets the most views out of any post I have ever done. Which I find funny, because it just proves how twisted people are! Lol!

Enjoy...

~October Spookfest-Memorial Photography~

If you've ever seen the movie The Others you will know about Memorial, or Post Mortem, Photography. It is a portrait taken after death. During Victorian times photography was very costly and required the person to sit motionless for long periods of time. Since a dead person has a tendency to not move (hopefully at least) they make good, albeit creepy, subjects. Most efforts were made to make the dead look alive; that is why some of their eyes are open and they are propped up by living members of their family. Also, most of these are children, probably due to the high mortality rate for children during the Victorian age. If they creep you out I am sorry. Just remember that back then this would have been the only photo ever taken of this person, so to family members it was a way to honor them.










6 comments:

  1. Those photos are so sad. I had a couple of pictures I acquired from an estate sale. They were both of babies one with it's eyes closed the other open, they had real hair and clothes behind the glass. I did some research and these are similar to what you posted, I think one was for a baby that had passed with the eyes closed. After I found that out, I sold them both on Etsy, it kind of creeped me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they would creep me out too. I would be pretty superstitious about them. I'm going to try and find some more photos to do a second round of posts here.

      Delete
  2. Yay! I'm super excited you're doing this again Holly! :D Can't wait! :D
    - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are creepy and awesome at the same time. I love Halloween, can't wait for your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man! super excited for your posts!! i loved being spooked and creeped out

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! SO glad Spookfest is back!! I loved the first round, so looking forward to the new ones :))

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your wonderful comments and opinions!! Feel free to ask questions and I will happily answer them as fast as I can! Any negative comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...