Monday, July 16, 2012

Vintage Halter Tops

I don't know when my obsession for vintage halter tops started, but I do remember the first one I bought. It was actually a lot of 3 of them on Ebay-a 70s leopard print one, a yellow and pansies print, and a plaid print. I think I paid $15 for them. Ever since then I have made a point to seek out these cute little tops. I used to pick them up for cheap too from Ebay, the Rose Bowl, vintage stores, and Viva. The most I ever paid for one was $25.

In the past couple of years I have noticed the cost of them sky rocket for some reason. Maybe they are becoming harder to find? Maybe people finally realized how cute they are? I dunno. Whatever the reason they now sell upwards of $200. I know they are cute, but DAMN!!! I have been hunting for a plain black one for years and saw one sell on Ebay recently for $180!!! Thats just crazy.

I thought I would share some of my collection with you. These are all vintage halter tops, bra tops and bustier tops. I am incredibly broke right now and am trying to save for a car, so I figure I will share with you guys pieces that I already own instead of recent purchases. This is actually a good way for me to 'shop' from my closet too, since I sometimes forget what I have.


An older photo of my collection. I've added a few new pieces.




"Miss Hawaii"


Tulip print bustier top.


Gray/blue "sharkskin" bustier top. That Hawaiian skirt has a matching halter top that goes with it, but it fits me weird. The bustier top matched it nicely though.


Pink floral bustier top.


One of my my most worn halter tops. Plain red.


"Hawaiian Casuals"


Ruched pink bustier top. This skirt is part of a matching set:


See, now its a dress! I love options. I really want to wear this set again but I seem to have left the top in storage in Denver :-(


Yellow and blue. I need to take this one in.


Another top I wear often. Black with white ruffle. I need a plain black one like it to go with some pink and black shorts I own.


Red velvet bustier top. I have a black one very similar to this one that I get a lot of use out of.

 Pink ones.


White ones.


Plaid ones.


Gingham ones.

Sheesh! Thats a lot of halter tops!! I really don't wear the bra style ones too often because I feel a bit naked in them. One day I will just have to sell some of them...



24 comments:

  1. What a great collection!! They all look so cute on you! I have an emerald green 50's bustier top that I'm about to put up in my Etsy shop, and you'll be happy to know that it'll be no-where near $180...that's a little koo-koo, if you ask me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, thats a bit much for such a small thing. You should send me the link to the top you are going to post. Maybe its my size :-)

      Delete
    2. Hi! Just posted the top...I'm thinking it's probably to big for you in the waist 'cause you're so petite, but you never know! Here's the link:
      https://www.etsy.com/listing/104949577/vintage-50s-cotton-bustier-emerald-green

      Delete
    3. Sold already!! It's really pretty. But yeah, too big.

      Delete
  2. I love the tops! What if we could dress like that in Sweden and not freeze.
    I especially like the one that is like a part of a matching set.

    Btw, i love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I love that one too. I really hope I find it soon. I have a feeling its packed away in Denver though.

      Delete
  3. Cuuuuuuuute collection! I love the red velvet one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I havent worn that one yet. It would be really cute with some black cigarette pants I think.

      Delete
  4. Since I started to buy vintage more than 10 years ago a lot of pieces raised high.... I saw some weeks ago a simple 40's coton day dress sold for $250 on Ebay....
    I'm not a big fan of these small tops for myself, I'm not a californian girl and it's like I feel naked wearing them.....
    But they are made for you and your collection is amazing!!!!

    http://lostin1950.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was living in Denver I barely wore them. They are definitely made for warm weather!

      I could go on for days about the high price of vintage now! I have a post almost ready to go about that very topic. I know part of it is that I can't afford to spend so much on something, but seriously...

      Delete
  5. Super cute collection! You really look great in those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I will have to do a post about all my vintage shorts too.

      Delete
  6. You have a great collection, and look amazing in all of your pictures! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are too cute! They really suit you.

    Cheers!
    ~Paige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them. Its good too because I am rather flat chested. If I were bigger I think I would feel inapropriate in them.

      Delete
  8. These are fabulous! I will have to make some as I too am super broke saving for a car. CA and no car is like living in a cave it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am almost positive that I drooled on my keyboard while I was slowly scrolling down the page. Your collection is not only impressive and extensive (wow) but so beautiful! Those tops really look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was a bit obsessed with them for a while. That and vintage shorts. I think I can safely say that I do not need anymore of them. That is, aside from a few styles I am still looking for-plain black halter, black high waist shorts, and black sailor style.

      The hunt never ends!!

      Delete
  10. what a lovely collection.I go through the same thing with stuff forget what I have until it's all out of the closet.xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so want to see the pink ruched set! I bet it's divine. I'm also in love with your fabulous pink velvet bustier. What a gorgeous collection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have just discovered your blog and have been reading through it for hours - I have serious hair envy! This collection is glorious.
    You have a new loyal follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I try to blog often so keep checking back :-)

      Delete
  13. Wow, so sexy halter tops collection, so beautiful, I like all of them, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your wonderful comments and opinions!! Feel free to ask questions and I will happily answer them as fast as I can! Any negative comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...