Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Mad Music Monday-Jackie Wilson vs MUSE

When Fernando bought that pile of 45's from the Thrift Trader a few weeks back, one of them was by Jackie Wilson. He is one of my all time favorite soul singers so I was excited to hear it.

Night by Jackie Wilson



I had never heard the song before, but I HAD heard a version of it somewhere. It bugged me and bugged me as I lay in bed trying to think of where I heard it. A movie maybe? No.

And then it hit me: Ice Dancing!!! I had seen someone skate to this song( I'm a figure skating freak btw), but of course it wasn't sung by Jackie.

It was sung by MUSE.

MUSE "I Belong To You"



Forward to 2:20 to hear the "Night" part. I am a HUGE MUSE fan so I was pretty excited to find the connection to Jackie Wilson. I enjoy the way they interpreted it too. And it was all connected in my brain by figure skating. Of course!

PS-If you are interested to see the ice dance here is the link.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to travel even further down the rabbit hole, the French part of the Muse song is actually taken directly from an aria by Camille Saint-Saens, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtkeUrXIWzw), so I guess Jackie Wilson had taken inspiration from the same piece of music much earlier. I had never heard that Jackie Wilson song either--cool to hear the connection!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your wonderful comments and opinions!! Feel free to ask questions and I will happily answer them as fast as I can! Any negative comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...