Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My Skincare Routine

This was requested of me a long time ago and I am just now getting to it! Sorry for the delay!

When it comes to skincare I am a drug store girl all the way. My last real job was for a high end skincare company, so for 2 years I used only their products. I thought that because they were so pricey that they must be good. I was wrong. My skin looked so bad! I had horrible breakouts, blackheads, whiteheads, bumps and wrinkles that didn't go away until I stopped using their products completely. After that experience I have sworn off high end beauty products in favor of drug store brands. They work better for me and they don't break the bank! Also, if I buy one that I don't like I won't be too upset because I didn't spend an entire paycheck on it!

So here is my list of beauty products that I use everyday. Since setting this routine my skin looks better than it has in ages! I haven't had a single breakout in about 6 months, no black/white heads, and the wrinkles I do have around my eyes have been drastically diminished. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy!

Face Wash
I have two face washes that I alternate. I sue this one by Neutrogena in the shower and it is really great at preventing acne. I used to get cystic acne on my forehead that was impossible to get rid of! The last time I had one was in December and it went away really fast. This stuff is great!



My other cleanser is this one by St Ives. I've reviewed it before and I still love it just as much. I use this one at the end of the day to wash off my makeup. It works really well at getting my face really clean. It helps prevent acne and reduces redness, without drying out my skin. My skin used to be really dry but as I've gotten older I've noticed that I now have more of a T zone; meaning my forehead and nose get oily, while the rest of my face is normal/dry. Thats why I like acne cleansers that don't dry out my skin.



Exfoliate
Everyone needs to exfoliate, even people with really oily skin. I use this cleanser about 3 times a week and I usually mix it in with my Neutrogena face wash. I initially bought this by accident. I meant to buy the masque of the same name. I was gonna return it but decided to give it a try instead. I'm glad I did because it really works!!


Toner
Even though I wash my face diligently every day, there will always be some residue left over. I have been using a toner for about 15 years now to make sure I get my face really clean. For a while I was using witch hazel, and I may again, but for now I am using this one by Biore that I really like. It keeps my pores really clean and drys up any acne I may get. Again, since I set this routine I have had no breakouts, but every now and then I will get one pimple. This stuff gets rid of it fast!


Prep
I have reviewed this stuff before too. It is a staple in my medicine cabinet. I swear by this stuff! When I was using Osmotics (the devil company's products) I started noticing some serious wrinkles forming around my eyes. I actually believe that their products made me age faster! I started using Bio Oil and my crows feet have been greatly diminished. I only use it around my eyes, twice daily, letting it soak in before applying moisturizer. Along with the comments I got from my coworkers, I have noticed visibly smoother skin around my eyes. For that reason, I will never stop using this stuff!!

$9.59

Now onto the newest brand of skincare products that have stolen my heart: Oil of Olay. I decided to give it a try after my Osmotics fiasco, based solely on reviews I had read. I wanted to start on a beauty regimen that was good, but wouldnt cost an arm and a leg. I was using Origins, which worked great, but at $30-$70 a product, I could no longer afford it. I got all of my Oil of Olay products for around $50, buying a value set and using coupons from the newspaper. Not bad!

The first product I use is the Regenerist Serum. I apply it to my face first, avoiding the eyes where I put the Bio Oil, and let it soak in for a few minutes. Serums are a great way to get more concentrated nutrients into the skin, so its important to let them properly penetrate into the skin.

Moisturize
For my eyes I use the Lifting Serum. I like it because its light. I already get moisture from the Bio Oil so I don't need a heavy cream on top of that. I like these two together as they seem to compliment each other well.


Day
Its important to use a different moisturizer for day and night, especially if the day one has an SPF in it. Sleeping in an SPF can irritate your skin, as I found out once the hard way. My day moisturizer by Olay does not have an SPF in it, so I will add one on top of it when I am going outside. The next time I need to stock up I am going to get one with and SPF already in it. For now though this hydrating cream works really well. It moisturizes my skin without being too heavy, leaving my skin really soft.

Night
My night cream is an anti wrinkle one. Its never too early to battle wrinkles, and the best time to do it is at night. Its good to use a heavier cream at night, so that it can penetrate into the skin while you sleep. This one is really good because my skin still feels hydrated when I wake up.


So there you have it! That is my daily skincare routine that I swear by. I have no plans to deviate from it too much (aside from adding an SPF) because I havent been this happy with my skin in years. I learned a real lesson working at my former company: just because the products are expensive does not mean that they work! All the products I use can be bought for around $100 at any drugstore and they work better than any department store product I have ever used.

So ladies...what skincare products do you swear by? Are you a drugstore girl like me or do you prefer the high end route? I'd love to hear your opinions on this matter!!

16 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the recommendations!! I actually bought the Mint Julep Mask a while back per your suggestion, and I love it. I don't really have a face wash that I love so I am excited to try your suggestions, but for moisturizer, I am a lifer for Pond's Dry Skin Cream. I have been using it for years and will never change! It is very heavy, however, and some people don't like that. Thanks again for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm allergic to a lot of soap dyes/perfumes so I have to be careful with what I use. I usually stick with the old fashion noxema. I know a lot of people don't like the smell, but that's probably my favorite part about it other than how well it works for my skin. Usually I just put it on like a mask and then wipe off with a wet washcloth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a home product user all the way - 1/2 apple cider vinegar and 1/2 water combo is my toner and Olive Oil is my moisturizer!! hahah For me, it is totally the best. The only thing I use that I buy is my face soap which I use purity by pureology. Sigh. Its amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer sunscreen with Hellioplex. I get spf 70 and it goes on really sheer with my moisturizer. Not heavy & sticky like usual sunscreens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to stay away from anything with SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) and parabens in it. So I'm using an all natural soap, but I don't think I live it very much. I just added cold cream to my routine hoping it will curb my breakouts. I discovered that I was leaving a ton of makeup behind thinking I had done a good job! The cold cream takes all my makeup off, and then I get that off with witch hazel. I'm going to have to give some of your recommendations a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My biggest recommendation is to never, ever sleep in your makeup!! No matter how tired I am I always wash my face really well.
    I was using cold cream for a while and I liked it, but I think this routine works best for me. I just don't think my skin is as dry as it used to be. Especially now with the moist San Diego air!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the recommendations! I'm definitely going to try that Bio Oil...my undereye areas need some serious TLC.
    I've been using another product from St. Ives, called Green Tea Scrub and I really love it! It's a great exfoliator, but because of the green tea it's also soothing. It smells like Starbursts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm super curious about Bio Oil too, thanks for the recommendations! I've been a long time Oil of Olay fan, but have yet to try their Regenerist line. You've probably tried it, but I've been using St. Ives Apricot Scrub all of my teenage/adult life and it's never done me wrong. It's great to use on the back of your arms too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am trying the Bio-Oil since you've written about it 2x now. It feels heavenly going on- I just hope it doesn't break me out. To curb that risk I have been using Neutrogena pink grapefruit acne scrub. Crossing my fingers. Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't had any problems with Bio Oil breaking me out, but I usually only use it around my eyes. I may try it out on my whole face for a while, because I am out of my Oil of Olay serum. I will let you guys know what happens. It is amazing for my eyes though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so HAPPY to see you praise Oil of Olay...I'm planning to get back on some of the products and I was unsure where to start. I love the cleansing milk and I probably won't stop using my Cetaphil moisture cream at night but I need a good day lotion.

    Thanks, Holly-ness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always wanted to try Cetaphil but never have. Oil of Olay really is good. I have no complaints!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have recently switched to Rose hip oil for moisture and almond oil to remove my make up, though I swear by Nuetrogena eyemake remover to remove stage make up. Used to be an olay fan so I shall have to grab their lift serum.

    XX Rosina lee
    http://rosinalee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, that's a nice set of beauty products. Really, sometimes there's a ton of them to choose from, don't you think? The best way to use them is to find the ones that work best on one's body. Of course, that sometimes takes a while but it can be pretty fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the recommendation for Bio Oil for the under eye area - I have been using a little of Elizabeth Arden's Eight Hour Miracle Cream, but it is quite thick. I also have acne-prone skin and found the genius product Clarin's Hydra Matte Moisturiser for Combination Skin to have cleared it up. I had spent a fortune on all kinds of things and this was and is the only thing that works.

    Cakes
    http://www.cakesandshakes.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and
    I am impressed! Extremely useful information particularly the last part :
    ) I care for such information a lot. I was looking for this certain
    information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.
    Also visit my web page :: product anti aging skin

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your wonderful comments and opinions!! Feel free to ask questions and I will happily answer them as fast as I can! Any negative comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...