Sunday, October 31, 2010

October Spookfest 2010-Memorial Photography

If you've ever seen the movie The Others you will know about Memorial, or Post Mortem, Photography. It is a portrait taken after death. During Victorian times photography was very costly and required the person to sit motionless for long periods of time. Since a dead person has a tendency to not move (hopefully at least) they make good, albeit creepy, subjects. Most efforts were made to make the dead look alive; that is why some of their eyes are open and they are propped up by living members of their family. Also, most of these are children, probably due to the high mortality rate for children during the Victorian age. If they creep you out I am sorry. Just remember that back then this would have been the only photo ever taken of this person, so to family members it was a way to honor them.










7 comments:

  1. Facinating - but creepy, especially the ones in the caskets. On some of the photos however, I can't tell who is the corpse!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm taking a class called death and burial and I almost did my final paper on this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! Is that last one of a two headed baby?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael E. Stora. Ph.D.July 22, 2011 at 11:39 PM

    Five months ago I would not have understood the appeal of these photographs. I almost with I had one. It would be much more concrete than the inexact images in my head and therefore less haunting.

    Rest in Peace my Love.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your wonderful comments and opinions!! Feel free to ask questions and I will happily answer them as fast as I can! Any negative comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...