Friday, September 10, 2010

The Rhythm Rocker

For the past two years I have gone to the US Rave in October. If you don't know, it was sort of a mini Viva, even taking place at the same hotel. It was a lot smaller than Viva, really only bringing out the die hard rockabilly fans. No car show, no fashion show, no pool party. Just bands and dancing. The first year was a blast!!!!!


Communal bottle of champagne. I don't remember specific details about this night but I do know that I laughed A LOT. And tackled at least 2 people that I know of for sure.

The second Rave wasnt nearly as much fun, mostly because I was really sick the whole time. I had this horrible cough that prevented me from dancing at all, and I just felt awful the entire time.


Notice that I am drinking water. Thats a sure sign that I was sick! When I look at the pictures from the event I just think I look bloated and kinda pasty. But it makes sense because I felt like death the whole time!

Anyways, the Rave is not happening this year. It just didnt get the attendance that they hoped. But Oscar and I do not want to wait until April when Viva rolls back around. We had talked about going to an event overseas but money is preventing that. So we have decided to head to California for the Rhythm Rocker. 


Its taking place October 15-17 in Long Beach at a hotel and the lineup looks pretty good. I'm mostly looking forward to the Cleftones, Rambling James and the Billyboppers and the Sun Records tribute. And of course the DJ's (I'm mostly excited for DJ Okie Oran!!). Theres a pool party on saturday, which will give me an excuse to wear one of my new bathing suits, and a car show.

I'm really excited for this because I am in desperate need of a vacation! Plus, I miss LA and we will be staying with our friend Bridget, who I adore. And it will be a good chance to wear all my great dresses and shorts before I have to put them away for the winter.

Now I have to start planning my wardrobe!!!!

9 comments:

  1. I know...I'm totally counting the days until this! Charlie Hightone is performing in the Sun Tribute, and I don't know if you caught his set at the US Rave last year, but the crowd went nuts. I think the best part is lots of leads to dance with! WooHoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks fun! Rob and I are going to Rock Around The Park for the second time this November, which is a rockabilly day at Disneyland. It's not much right now, but we are hoping that it will pick up in the next few years and become bonifide event. There are a few vendors and bands, but now it's just an excuse to go to LA and Disneland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to Disneyland and I really wanna go. I think this may be our last trip this year though, as its all money will allow. Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whaaa I wanna go! My best mates (and next door neighbours) are going, in fact playing there, Big Boy Bloater and his lovely wife Lisa, in fact I'll probably end up taking them to the airport, such torture, I wish I could just smuggle myself in their cases, but I suspect they'd have to pay excess baggage!!

    Have fun, I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me and my hubby are going as our last horrah before the baby comes. Yay, I can't wait. It will be nice to finally meet you as well! Hopefully I can still dance at 6 months pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I am excited that so many people are going. Yippy! I think it is going to be a lot of fun.....I cant wait! he he he.

    Now....what to wear?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You might be interested to know that the Santa Monica Vintage Expo is that weekend, too. It's a great vintage clothing show at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, the 16th and 17th. Only a little drive north from Long Beach. Maybe you could sneak in a bit of shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like a lot of people are going! I think its gonna be a good weekend!!

    Anon-Hmmmmm....the online site says its Sept 18-19. The Rhythm Rocker is in Oct. Too bad though. It would been a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Vintage Expo is in San Francisco on Sept. 18th and 19th, and then comes down to L.A., to Santa Monica specifically, on October 16th and 17th...I just double checked their website. I'm relieved! i thought I had messed up & was going to have to miss it. So you can go after all!
    There's a vendor there called "the Bakelite Lady"...she's super nice and I've been saving up my $$ to buy something from her...that is, if I make it to her booth without spending all my cash on something else!
    (by the way this is Dina from MoMoDeluxeVintage on Etsy...I figured out how not to be "anonymous")

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your wonderful comments and opinions!! Feel free to ask questions and I will happily answer them as fast as I can! Any negative comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...