Friday, July 23, 2010

Mascara Reviews

I'm a total makeup-aholic so I am always on the hunt for the perfect mascara. I want my eyelashes to look full and thick and long and dark. And no clumps!!!! I hate when my eyelashes get stuck together! Ugh! I've tried quite a few of the drugstore brand mascaras that are out there and thought I'd do a bit of a review. I have tried department store brands (Lancome, Origins, MAC, Dior) and some of them are good, but to me they arent worth the money. You buy a new mascara about every 2 months so its a waste of money in my opinion. Plus, there are some great drugstore ones out there.

Maybelline Great Lash

I know this mascara is considered a 'classic' of sorts, but to me its just ok. Its great if you are going for a more natural look, but I never do that!! I want my lashes to look fake and this one just doesn't do it for me.

Maybelline XXL

XXL is a dual mascara and base. The base is a white gel that you apply to your lashes before the mascara. Its supposed to add volume. Lancome made one that I kind of liked so I thought I'd try this one. Again, it was just ok. I actually thought it made my lashes look skinnier, as all the white gel did was make my lshes stick together. The term 'spidery' comes to mind. Not a good look.

Maybelline The Colossal

I actually like this mascara, which, from what I've read, most people don't. It has a tendency to clump. However, if you can get rid of the clumps it does give you really nice, thick lashes. It doesn't make your lashes stick together, which I despise. It just sometimes leaves excess product (clumps) on your lashes that you have to take off. So thats a little annoying. But again, the final product is quite nice.

Loreal Voluminous

This was my go to mascara for many years. This is a darned good mascara! It does just what the name says. You will get very dark, thick lashes. However, as with most volumizing mascaras, there can be some clumping. Its not as bad at The Colossal, but it still happens. That being said, this is still one of my favorite mascaras.

Maybelline Lash Blast

This is my absolute favorite mascara! Something about that weird brush makes it do everything that I want it to do. It lengthens, thickens, and never clumps! My lashes never seperate either and they always look full and dark. If you are looking for one mascara that will do everything, this is it!

Maybelline The Falsies

After seeing the name of this mascara I knew I had to try it! Isn't that exactly what I want?! Anyways, its a little premature to be doing a review on it as I've only tried it once (today) but I will go ahead anyways. First, its has a curved brush which I'm not used to. This will have to take some practice. I got more mascara on my eyelids than on my lashes! Also, I was having a hard time keeping the lashes seperated. When all was said and done though, my lashes look pretty good!

You be the judge:
I will have to give this mascara a few more tries before I decide for sure what I think. I'll update you all later!

So ladies, what are your favorite mascaras? Are there any that you despise? Also, are there any department store brands I should try?


15 comments:

  1. I also tried many of those and LASH BLAST volume is my new favorite as well. It does not get spidery or clump. My only complaint is trying to remove it! You have to use makeup remover. But, it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voluminous was my favorite for a looong time too! I've been playing around with more "high-end" mascaras and agree with you about them not being worth the extra dough. I will definitely try Lash Blast next as I can see you're a girl after my own heart (or lashes, as it were).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so so sad when CoverGirl discontinued my beloved Marathon Mascara! I had been using it since junior high and it was the only product that worked for me. It was waterproof to the max and it did not clump.

    I tried to like Maybelline Great Lash but it was so bad. I have very oily skin and after a couple hours of wearing it, I looked like a raccoon. I have no idea how Maybelline claims it is the best selling mascara in the US and that it is also a makeup artist fave!

    I have tried brands ranging from Revlon, L'oreal, Yves Saint Laurent, Tarte, Dior, Lancome, and so on. I have still yet to find one that is good enough as my Marathon.

    However, for the last couple of months, I have been wearing MAC's Opulash. So far, I really like it. It is not waterproof whatsoever but it lasts all day without smudging and flaking. Most of MAC mascaras are not worth their salt, but Opulash has proved to be a keeper until I find that "holy grail" mascara that does it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a mascara-holic..big time!! If I were stranded on a desert island, mascara would be on my list of must-haves! My tried and true mascara since middle school is Maybelline Full n'Soft. It has that great brush that separates lashes and never clumps and does what it says: makes your lashes full n' soft. I tried lash blast when it first came out and it was awful! I couldn't get it to come off, even with high quality makeup remover and it made my lashes so brittle and dry that I couldn't wear makeup for a week! I hope they've changed their formula since then, maybe I'll give it a second try! Thanks for all of the great reviews, I'll have to try some of those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm currently trying out mascara by quo cosmetics, and it's pretty good.. but if I'm looking to splurge, DiorShow is the best mascara. It makes me look like I'm wearing false eyelashes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Revlon's 3D Extreme mascara. Seriously this stuff looks great if you put it on right which takes some practice. The brush has two 'bald' spots on it so if you put that at the base of your lashes and twirl the wand while you go up it gives you a great dark base.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, I just don't get what the big whoop is about Great Lash, but I like my lashes to look false too so...

    My favorite mascara for years was Lancome Difinicils...and then I was broke and needed mascara so badly that I bought one from the Japanese dollar store. Unfortunately (for Lancome) it was just as good as Difinicils and I've never gone back. I have no idea what the brand is, because it's in Japanese on the package but it says "Long and Curl" on the tube. It has a comb instead of a brush, which I thought would be weird, but it makes my lashes look incredibly thick and incredibly long. And its $1.50. Win.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wear false eyelashes every time I put on my face for the last 7 years. The main reason is that I have blond lashes, and there was always a gap between my lashes and eyeliner on my lid. The falsies not only give me thick long lashes, but they are a lot faster to apply than mascara was. When I did use only Mascara, I used Cover Girl "Professional Mascara" the non-waterproof one, for over 20 years. I liked it because it gave me full, long lashes and didn't smudge or smear. It was also easy to remove.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Great Lash. I don't want my eyelashes to look fake, though. But I would like to be able to apply false ones...(they stick to everything but my eyelids).
    And I know I'm meant to replace my mascara every couple of months but I don't. That's probably really gross...
    -Andi x

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh great post, I'm having a mascara dilemma at the moment which is not helped by being broke because I can't afford to try loads of different ones. I'm not sure though if we have Lash Bash in the UK, I'll have to look! Thanks for this

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use Benefit Bad Gal which I think works well and has a nice fat brush.
    I used Great Lash for years (since I was 13) before I tried Bad Gal and its a great everyday mascara, but like you said - but not for Va va voom!
    Will have to check out if thy do the Lash Blast in the UK too *love the way you have called it Lash Bash STM :D *

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm always trying to find good mascara. As soon as I find one I like, they discontinue it. My current favorite is the Colossal. My mom put it in my stocking at Christmas and I've been using it ever since.
    I'll have to try the ones you liked though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still love my Lash Blast! I've never noticed how it feels on my lashes once its dry so I'm not sure about that. I do know that it is a bit difficult to remove, but I always use an eye makeup remover so thats no biggie for me. I tried Dior Show years ago and wasnt impressed. I haven't tried anything from Benefit because I think they are overpriced. I liked Lancome's mascaras but they kept bumping up the price!! After using the Falsies for a few days I would say that its just ok. It clumps like hell though! I actually have to use my Lash Blast to get rid of the clumps! So I'd say my top 3 are--Lash Blast, Voluminous, and The Colossal. I'd buy all three of them again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are you sure it's Maybelline Lash Blast? I've looked everywhere for it and can only find a Lash Blast by Covergirl. The Covergirl one is orange and looks like the one in that pic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Also, the Lash Blast Luxe is awesome! It gives kind of like a shimmer effect. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your wonderful comments and opinions!! Feel free to ask questions and I will happily answer them as fast as I can! Any negative comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...